top of page


Call Us Now!


Albert M. Quirantes | Miami Criminal Defense Lawyer Office

Helpful Hints on How to Handle an Arrest in Florida

How to Handle a False Allegation of Domestic Violence

The fear of having one’s liberty taken away once you have been arrested can be a numbing experience. You suddenly feel bewildered and lost with no one to turn to. Once the arresting police offer has slapped handcuffs on, panic may set in. Here is some advice below if this ever happens to you.

First of all get a hold of yourself and keep calm. It may not be quite as serious as you may think. An arrest doesn’t mean you have been formally charged. Before you are likely to face a formal charge, the Attorney’s office will look at the arrest report, including evidence provided, and will decide if the case is strong enough that it is likely to result in a conviction. If it isn’t, then you could be set free as quickly as possible. You have to be presented with a formal notice of charge by the Florida state attorney’s office.

You are entitled to a criminal defense attorney.

If you aren’t released you have the right to an attorney who will not only argue on your behalf for your release but will keep you calm too and ensure you don’t say anything you shouldn’t which could make your situation worse. A private experienced criminal attorney like Miami’s Albert Quirantes will have the time and experience to guide you through the worrying process. You could choose a public defender but their workloads mean you won’t necessarily get sufficient attention to ensure a favorable outcome to your charge.

13 Important hints following an arrest

  1. Cooperate with the police;

  2. Don’t depend on friends to help you out;

  3. If you can, make sure you have no illegal items on you when arrested, like drugs, weapons, or stolen property

  4. Call a bail bondsman ASAP if you can. This will get you out of jail quickly for the time being

  5. Remember to keep your mouth shut. You must remember your Miranda rights and that is “you have the right to remain silent.”

  6. Say to the police you want an attorney. This means the police can no longer question you until your attorney arrives.

  7. Never trust a police officer who tries to befriend you. This is commonly a tactic to get you to confess.

  8. If you are forced to stay overnight in jail and you want help from your family don’t say anything that may incriminate you when you are talking on the phone as your conversation will be recorded and could be used as evidence against you.

  9. If you are allowed bail the bail bondsmen will ask for a 10% cash payment of the value of the bail as well as proof of collateral for the remaining 90%.

  10. Once you are out of jail conserve your money as you may need it.

  11. Once you are out of jail don’t do anything stupid like call your victim. Depending on the charge this could be an individual, business or other organization. You will most certainly end up back in jail in an instant.

  12. If you know that a conviction is likely you may just have a small amount of time available to work out with your spouse what plans you can make in advance to ensure your family’s security.

  13. Above all, keep out of trouble while you are waiting for your court case to come up. To avoid any further complications if you have changed your address tell the clerk of court straightaway.

Being arrested is no doubt stressful but having experienced Miami criminal defense attorney, Albert Quirantes Esq., on your side will help to ensure you don’t face penalties for a crime you did not commit. You should contact him at his Law Firm without delay at 305-644-1800.

Albert Quirantes: Your Miami Criminal Defense Lawyer & DUI Lawyer

For over 30 years, Miami criminal defense attorney Albert M. Quirantes has been aggressively and zealously defending the rights of those accused of felony and misdemeanor crimesthroughout South Florida. With his dedicated team, reasonable legal fees, and a well-earned reputation for challenging prosecutors at every turn, he has protected over 8,000 clients during some of the roughest times of their lives.

Increase your knowledge! If you want to know more about how to resolve the problems you face when charged with a criminal offense in Florida, then you can follow Miami Criminal Attorney Albert M. Quirantes on Facebook, Twitter, or Google+.

If you have been arrested and charged with a crime, please call us today at (305) 644-1800 or fill out our online form to arrange for your free, confidential initial consultation.

If you have any questions about this or any other criminal accusation, call Miami Criminal Defense Lawyer Albert Quirantes at: (305) 644-1800 or visit our homepage for a direct link to the office or a text message or a map and directions to our office.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags


bottom of page